Fender’s Fabled Hot Rod Hardtail Makes a Triumphant Return
If you’ve ever run across a Fender Lead at a swap meet or vintage guitar store, it’s doubtless left an impression. These slimmed-down Strat alternatives from the late ’70s and early ’80s are still sought out today thanks to their hot-rodded tones, distinct visuals, and slinky playability — not to mention some high-profile users like Bono and Clapton. The Player Series proudly reintroduces the Lead II back into the Fender fray with vintage-correct electronics and performance player upgrades (Modern “C” neck profile, 9.5″ fingerboard radius) where it counts. The Lead II’s more memorable features include a hardtail 6-saddle bridge, favored by rockers who prioritize tuning stability over arm vibrato, and the formidable dual-pickup electronics package. The Lead II’s offset Alnico V Strat single-coils supply a wide range of blues, rock, and indie guitar tones, made all the more diverse by a phase-reverse toggle to elicit those Brian May in-between voicings. A classic Fender Lead II decal and vintage–correct “F” heel plate and tuners round out this throwback original.
Vintage design, modern comforts
The Player Series Lead II is a prime example of what Fender does best. From its hardware and finishes to its pots and pickups, the Lead II is a stunning reproduction of everything that made the original so collectible. Updates include a contoured Modern “C” maple neck with 22 medium-jumbo frets and a modern 9.5″ fingerboard radius. This means greater playability for all sorts of playing styles, leads to chords. The Lead II’s classic finish options (Crimson Red Transparent, Black) are flawless and period correct.
Dual alnico single-coils
Like the original, the Player Series Lead II nets you two slant single-coil Strat pickups to cover a wide range of musical styles. These are built with Alnico V elements to unearth a chunky, scooped, and modern response. A simple 3-way toggle and speedy master volume/tone knobs supply fast access to your favorite sounds.
Throaty Brian May leads and funky scratch tones are yours when you flip the Lead II to position two and engage the phase-reverse toggle. This useful trick cancels out some of the fullness of the pickups, which can help certain parts blend better into a mix.
Fender Player Series Lead II Solidbody Electric Guitar Features:
- A modernization of the classic 1970s/’80s Fender Lead II
- Blends vintage design with modern comforts
- Dual Alnico V single-coil Strat pickups cover a wide range of musical styles
- Phase-reverse switch nets you Brian May leads to funky scratch tones in position two
- Speedy 3-way toggle with master volume/tone
- Modern “C” maple neck with 9.5″-radius fingerboard and medium-jumbo frets affords excellent playability
- Hardtail 6-saddle bridge maximizes tuning and vibration transfer
- Number of Strings6
- Body TypeSolidbody
- Body ShapePlayer Lead II
- Body MaterialAlder
- Body FinishGloss Polyester
- ColorNeon Green
- Neck MaterialMaple
- Neck ShapeModern C
- Neck JointBolt-on
- Fingerboard MaterialMaple
- Fingerboard InlayBlack Dots
- Number of Frets22, Medium Jumbo
- Scale Length25.5″
- Nut Width1.650″
- Nut MaterialSynthetic Bone
- Bridge/Tailpiece6-Saddle String-through Body Hardtail with Block Saddles
- TunersVintage Style
- Neck PickupPlayer Series Alnico V Strat Single-coil
- Bridge PickupPlayer Series Alnico V Strat Single-coil
- Controls1 x master volume, 1 x master tone
- Switching2-way toggle phase switch, 3-way toggle pickup switch
There are no reviews yet.