1961 brought some big changes to the Gibson Les Paul™; most notably a sleek, all-new, double-cutaway, all-mahogany body design that would later be renamed the SG™. This Gibson Custom Shop model recreates the first Les Paul SG Customs, complete with Custom-style cosmetics, gold hardware, and a Sideways Vibrola™, a side-pull action vibrato that is similar to those found on models from the early 1960s. It also has a bound Authentic ’61 Thin Profile mahogany neck, Grover® tuners, an ABR-1 Tune-O-Matic™ bridge, three Custombucker pickups, CTS® vintage-taper pots, and Black Beauty capacitors.
Handcrafted by Gibson’s elite luthiers
Painstakingly handcrafted by Gibson’s elite luthiers in the company’s Nashville Custom Shop using only the finest materials, this high-end instrument — like every Gibson Custom guitar — is optimized for playability before leaving the factory. The fingerboard is polished and beveled with rolled edges, then given the Plek Pro treatment. Plek Pro is a state-of-the-art, computer-guided process that analyzes neck relief and the height of the nut and bridge. The machine then scans, levels, and dresses your guitar’s frets to a microscopic level of accuracy for perfect intonation and ideal action with no fret buzz, loss of sustain, or fretting out when bending strings. This guitar’s Plek’d frets ensure that every note in every position rings true and clear with unblemished tone.
Nitro finish, for the look and feel of a classic
Gibson gave the 60th Anniversary 1961 SG Les Paul Custom VOS a gorgeous nitrocellulose lacquer finish. Nitro finishes — standard back in the day — are significantly thinner than today’s polyurethane finishes, allowing the guitar to “breathe.” Nitro finishes not only look amazing; they also enhance the instrument’s tonal qualities. The 60th Anniversary 1961 SG Les Paul Custom VOS has the look, feel, and sound of a lovingly cared-for classic — one that will only improve with age.
- Masterfully handcrafted to Vintage Original Spec
- 1-piece mahogany sculpted double-cutaway body
- Solid mahogany neck, ’61 Thin profile
- Indian rosewood fingerboard, mother-of-pearl Block inlays
- 3 specially calibrated Custombucker pickups
- 3-way toggle switch; 2 volume, 2 tone controls; CTS vintage-taper pots and Black Beauty capacitors
- Adjustable ABR-1 bridge; Sideways Vibrola tailpiece
- Grover Kidney tuning machines
- Black Top Hat knobs with gold inserts
- Aged gold-plated hardware; nitrocellulose lacquer finish
- Handcrafted in Gibson’s Nashville Custom Shop
- Reissue hardshell case and Certificate of Authenticity included