Korg’s fresh and expansive reimagining of classic digital synthesis, the opsix sidesteps the often frustrating drawbacks of complex traditional 6-operator FM (Frequency Modulation) sound generation in favor of a much more musical and immediate approach that Korg calls “altered” FM synthesis. It all adds up to a staggering amount of power, wrapped in a tidy, 37-key chassis with accessible hands-on controls that give you the real-time sound-shaping immediacy you would sooner expect to find on an analog synth.
Astounding power under the hood
The Korg opsix may be small, but it packs an awesome sonic wallop. With 250 expertly curated factory presets (and 250 user slots), you’ll hit the ground running. From there, shaping your sound with the opsix is almost as intuitive as any analog synth you’ve ever had your hands on. Analog experts will be instantly at home with the opsix’s 21 oscillator waveforms, three onboard envelopes, three LFOs, and 11 powerful filters, while Korg’s versatile V.Patch virtual patching system keeps routing simple. Deploy the opsix’s 16-step polyphonic sequencer. Load notes into the 7-pattern arpeggiator. Or fire up the Randomize feature for some delightful unpredictability. FM synthesis has never been this approachable — or fun!
Korg’s modern approach to FM
When the first digital synthesizers arrived in the early 1980s, many keyboardists found them frustratingly complicated to use, despite their obvious sonic potential. With the opsix, Korg has taken a fresh, modern approach to FM. Their “altered” 6-operator FM synthesis makes the vastly capable FM sound generation method accessible to any musician who has ever played a classic analog synth. Equipped with an easy-to-use 6-fader operator level mixer, 6-knob ratio mixer, six data entry rotary encoders, and a flexible sound engine that takes you well beyond basic FM, the opsix broadens the potential of digital synthesis. Whether you’re an ’80s FM purist or entirely new to digital synthesis, the Korg opsix is a must-have addition to your synth arsenal.
- True 6-operator FM synthesis, and more
- Makes FM exploration easier than ever
- Maximum polyphony: 32 voices
- Easy-to-use 6-fader operator mixer
- Full editing with the Data Entry rotary encoders
- 5 operator modes (FM, Ring Mod., Filter, Filter FM, Wave Folder)
- 40 preset algorithms and user algorithms
- 250 factory presets, 250 user presets
- 21 oscillator waveforms
- 3 EGs, 3 LFOs, and 12 virtual patches for versatile modulation
- 11 powerful filters, including MS-20 and Polysix
- 30 types of high-definition effects in 3 categories
- Visual editing with spectrum analyzer and oscilloscope
- Powerful 16-step polyphonic sequencer; 7-pattern arpeggiator
- Add unpredictability to sounds with Randomize feature
- Favorite and smooth sound transition (SST) functions
- 3-octave keyboard (velocity and release-velocity sensitive)
- Pitchbend and Modulation wheels; Damper pedal jack
- MIDI I/O; USB B port; 6.3mm stereo Headphone jack