Classic Dreadnought from Martin
The Martin D-35 occupies a lofty perch in the pantheon of Martin dreadnoughts. Indeed, many discerning guitarists consider it the ultimate acoustic guitar. With a top of select spruce and its iconic East Indian rosewood three-piece back, this legendary Martin tonewood combination delivers the robust bass response and powerful projection that makes it perfect for both stage and studio. Its Plek’d, bound ebony fretboard feels amazing, and responds beautifully to flatpicking or fingerstyle playing. Tastefully embellished with elegant appointments, this Martin D-35 incorporates off-the-charts tone, playability, and looks into one standard-setting axe.
Quality tonewoods deliver timeless tone
A quality acoustic guitar is all about the wood, and the Martin D-35E serves up a classic tonewood cocktail with no compromises. The top is solid spruce for big projection and spectacular note clarity. Its back and sides are made of solid East Indian rosewood, a classic Martin material. A select hardwood neck and bound, Plek’d ebony fretboard give the Martin D-35 smooth playability that compliments its awesome sound.
The Legendary Martin D-35
The political turmoil and social upheaval of the 1960s served as an incubator for some of the greatest music ever made. Martin dreadnoughts had played a major role in the folk music of the post-war years, and as folk and rock music edged inexorably closer, Martin launched a new guitar in 1965. In sync with the ’60s zeitgeist, the D-35 was born of ecological concerns. Brazilian rosewood was fast becoming unsustainable, but Martin had a stash of rosewood from D-28 two-piece backs that had been set aside due to the presence of small defects. Using smaller pieces of wood, Martin luthiers could trim away any flaws and fashion a guitar with a stunning three-piece back.
But the D-35 was not just a D-28 with a fancier back. To differentiate the sound of this new model, Martin used lighter bracing: 1/4 inches for the top, and 000 back bracing. This created a louder, more resonant tone that lends itself beautifully to vocal accompaniment. Quickly, artists like Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, and Bruce Springsteen gravitated to the D-35 and it continues to win over a new generation of players like Seth Avett of the Avett Brothers.
Martin D-35 Acoustic Guitar Features:
- Spruce top; non-scalloped 1/4-inch X bracing
- 3-piece East Indian rosewood back with Multi-Stripe inlay
- High Performance Taper Modified Low Oval neck; dovetail neck joint
- Bound ebony fingerboard with mother-of-pearl Style 28 inlays
- Plek’d fretboard for enhanced playability
- Multi-Stripe body binding
- Style 28 Multi-Stripe Rosette; black pickguard
- East Indian rosewood headplate with script overlay logo
- 25.4-inch scale length
- Bone Nut, width: 1.75 inches
- Ebony Modern Belly-style bridge with drop-in compensated White Tusq saddle
- Chrome enclosed-gear tuning machines
- Finish: gloss (top, back, and sides), satin (neck)
- String Type:Steel
- Number of Strings:6
- Body Shape:Dreadnought
- Color:Natural, Aging Toner
- Top Wood:Spruce
- Back & Sides Wood:East Indian Rosewood
- Body Bracing:Forward Shifted X-bracing, non-scalloped
- Binding:Antique White
- Neck Wood:Select Hardwood
- Neck Shape:Modified Low Oval, High Performance Taper
- Fingerboard Material:Ebony
- Fingerboard Inlay:Mother-of-Pearl Style 28 Dots
- Number of Frets:20
- Scale Length:25.4″
- Tuning Machines:Chrome Enclosed Gear
- Bridge Material:Ebony
- Nut/Saddle Material:Bone/Bone
- Nut Width:1.75″
There are no reviews yet.